[GRASS5] A request for control

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Sep 20 21:14:09 EDT 2000

On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Bernhard Reiter wrote:

  First, the mail server at Baylor (byvax2.baylor.edu) has been down all
day. A message I sent to CAGSR at 0600 (PDST) was not delivered by 1400;
they'll keep trying. This is the reason Bruce hasn't responded to any
messages.

> We do have something like a linux kernel development model already in
> place. Markus Neteler is the benevolent dictator of the GRASS5 series.
> Things are discussed on the development list and he has the last word on
> it.

  I've been following GRASS since about 1990; I lurked on the mail list at
CERL waiting for a no cost version to come out for those of us who were
UNIX-challenged.

  My understanding of the past couple of years is that the US Government,
specifically the US Army's Construction Engineering Research Lab (CERL)
officially transferred legal responsibility for GRASS to Baylor University.
Not to Bruce or Lisa, but to the University. In addition to the legal
responsibility, Baylor University assumed development responsibility. And
control.

  I've visited with Bruce, Lisa and crew at CAGSR and I've held many
discussions with them about the use of SWAT and GRASS for aquatic modeling
and hydrologic modeling. My experience is that they are easy going and
grateful for all the help they can get. They are also unstinting in the help
that they give. This does not mean that they have relinquished their legal
or contractual responsibility toward GRASS and the user community.

  My understanding, which may well be wrong, is that Bruce accepted Markus'
offer to lead the GRASS-5 development effort. This does not mean that he
relinquished overall control, just the day-to-day control. In the corporate
world, Bruce's role is that of CEO (responsible for strategy and the overall
well-being of the company) and Markus' role is that of the COO, directing
the daily routine so the company reaches the objectives set by the Board of
Directors and the CEO. It is the CEO who has the final say on everything.

  Regardless, all help is welcome; from end users, hacker geeks and the morbidly
curious.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
              Making environmentally-responsible mining happen. (SM)
 + 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | rshepard at appl-ecosys.com