[GRASS5] Proposal for a new GRASS directory structure

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Sep 12 05:37:26 EDT 2000

On Mon, Sep 11, 2000 at 08:29:00PM +0100, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 11, 2000 at 09:18:19AM +0200, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > Markus,
> > I had hoped that we could make major reorganisations
> > after a stable GRASS5 version.
> >
> > It is against my understanding of a beta quality software to make this
> > reorganisations now. :)

> this is still a proposal... Nothing to be done now. I think we
> have to discuss how to reorganize the package before doing it.
> This might require more days/weeks.

This is okay,
but as Eric said: We need goals to get a stable GRASS5 release
and this kind of proposed reorganisations hit the bar what I would
call a save change for a beta version.

So we shall discussion our goals first, solve then and finally get a
stable version out. Stable also means tested. We should go into feature
freece and start fixing bugs only for a while.
Development will continue on the experimental developmen tree then.

> Two reasons might there not to wait for a stable GRASS version:
>  - we never know when we get it (I feel it will take more time)

We should release what we haven then, as stable tree and then start a new one.
As we already discussed or planned.

> The latter reason might be confirmed by Eric (or not).
> All others, please send your comments. As some of you have much experience
> with large projects, they can advise us. At least I need such advice!

	Bernhard
The FreeGIS Project				            (freegis.org)