[GRASS5] Digging for license problems

David D Gray ddgray at armadce.demon.co.uk
Fri Sep 8 18:47:29 EDT 2000

Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> With the recent license changes of the Uicu Group with Helena and Bill,
> I started with the tedious task to check through the huge GRASS sources
> for similiar problems. It is tedious because it can only create bad news,
> but somebody has to do it...
>
> Searching for the keyword "commercial"
> I turned up a couple of problematic cases.
>
> [...........]
>
> And now the ones which look like we do not have a big chance here,
> I suggest moving them into non.GPL until we can get an answer:
>
>         Numerical Recipes:
>
> grass/src.contrib/CERL/sites/s.surf.krig/NR.c
> /*-
> NUMERICAL RECIPES ROUTINES BELOW
> ludcmp routine - finds inverse of matrix A
> /*-lubksb routine - multiplies inverse of matrix A (from lucmp) by matrix b
> *                   and returns matrix x (weights) in "b".

Bernhard

I've come acroos this before (I'm exorcising NR stuff from code in
another project at present - it's common in ecological software).
Basically it's a scam. Anyone implementing code in these simple
mathematical routines would be likely to come up with `substantially
identical code'. It's also largely the same set of basic math routines
implemented in gsl (just a little more complete at present - but not so
well designed as gsl). Anyway in this case it's just a matrix inversion
and multiplication problem. If that's OK with the author, they should be
easy to replace. I will look into that if I can track down the authors.

David