[GRASS5] Volunteer wanted for CELL driver color problem

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Apr 19 20:56:57 EDT 2001

Malcolm Blue wrote:

> I have a minor change that I was planning to make to the sockets version of
> SWITCHER.c to make these workable with Win98 version of Cygwin.  These won't be
> needed for fifo version, since fifo doesn't work on Cygwin.  Should I make these
> changes to fifo version anyway (even if just to avoid questions later)?
>
> I will wait until you finish your changes, to avoid versioning problems.  Are you
> going to check your changes in at once or should I wait for your go ahead (I
> probably won't be ready until Sunday anyway)?

The initial changes will be done in one go, although user feedback
might result in additional changes. I hope to finish them tonight.

I wouldn't recommend making any changes until I've done the initial
commit; several files are likely to be moved or removed.

> BTW.  For the sleep(1) change, in order to avoid confusing the user, why don't we
> retry the select a couple of times with a sleep(1) in between, before issuing a
> message.  This should take care of the slower programs (i.e. CELL) and faster
> machines, since both seem to be causing problems, without alarming users
> needlessly.  Also, both CELL and XDRIVER need sleep(1) as identified by Bob
> Covill's experience with the monitor.

I would suggest a loop, trying at one second intervals until timeout
(e.g. 10 seconds).