[GRASS5] New USGS DEM data format

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Aug 1 21:23:14 EDT 2001

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Roger S. Miller wrote:

> Where did your information come from?  They haven't done that yet, and I
> don't see any evidence on their site that they intend to ever do that.

Roger,

  I just forwarded Bill's message to the GRASS-5 list.

> They keep threatening to take webglis down and force all traffic through
> earthexplorer, which would be unfortunate.  I have never gotten
> EarthExplorer to work right.

  Me, neither. I wrote to them and explained that it wouldn't work with
Navigator-4.77, mozilla-0.9.1 or opera-5.0 (identifying itself as MSIE5.0).
Still broken.

> I would be surprised if they added any accuracy by changing the file
> format.  In fact, I would be surprise if they changed the file format on
> anything they already released in an older format.  They put out new
> digital map data all the time (especially in the 7.5 minute series).
> Perhaps they are using a new format for the newly released data?

  Read the article. They _did_ change the data and they modified SDTS
format. Strangely enough, only ARC/GIS-8 supports that format. And the GS is
a complete ESRI shop (which is how ESRI got to be as big as they are).

  Politics hits the GIS world, too. Welcome to my world. :-)

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
 + 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
                 Making environmentally-responsible mining happen.