[GRASS5] CVS question

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Aug 9 09:32:11 EDT 2001

Markus Neteler wrote:

>Well,
>
>I have updated (hopefully improved) the GRASS-CVS page at:
>
>http://grass.itc.it/grasscvs.html
>
>There is a new page talking about GRASS tags and branches now:
>http://grass.itc.it/grasscvstags.html
>
>(all on the mirrors tomorrow).
>
>Let me know ideas for further improvements and
>language polishs if needed,

Markus,

This page helps, but I am still confused.  First, I appologise for being
somewhat
CVS challenged.  While I use CVS alot, I generally avoid the more
sophisticated
aspects of branching, just making minimal use of tags.

If I want to add a change that will make it into the next version of
GRASS 5.0
(GRASS 5.1 pre2?), what do I do?  Do I do the following?

  cvs update -r release_grass500pre1_20_may_2001
 apply my changes
 cvs commit

What will happen to changes checked in at the head?  I presume they will
not make it into GRASS 5.0, but will they be incorporated into GRASS 5.1?
How do we do work on the GRASS tree that we want to apply to GRASS
5.1 but not GRASS 5.0?

Will there be 5.0.1 and similar feature improvement releases, or is 5.1 the
only suitable place for non 5.0 features?

Best regards,