[GRASS5] Re: NVIZ crashes

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed Aug 15 07:51:07 EDT 2001

Helena wrote:

> that is how I am running it here

OK, but you're running NVidia's glX module, which presumably uses
hardware acceleration.

Unfortunately, hardware acceleration and reliability seem to be
mutually exclusive (unless you're using an SGI).

I use the stock XFree86 glX module without DRI, so Mesa is used for
the rendering. It isn't particularly fast, but at least it doesn't
crash the system so hard that not even Alt-SysRq-* work.

A suggestion regarding NVIZ bug reports: ask the user to post the
output from "glxinfo", and check that it contains:

	OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect

If it doesn't, tell them to try using the stock XFree86 glX module
without DRI, and see if the problem persists. If it does, we have a
problem. If it goes away, it's yet another failed attempt at OpenGL.