[GRASS5] Window Extents and region settings in X...

Eric G. Miller egm2 at jps.net
Wed Feb 28 21:24:24 EST 2001

On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 07:34:04PM +0100, Roger Bivand wrote:
> This issue also arises in interfacing with other programs in my case
> R. This was also why, in discussion with Markus in Chatham in August, I
> asked whether some kind of metadata checkin/checkout daemon might not be
> an idea, so that each piece of data knew what was happening to the
> others. In the same way as with WIND changing in relation to the display,
> an external program can't know or update for region changes, and maybe it
> should, so that regions stay harmonised. Something like a grassmaster,
> that GRASS programs and external programs could ask for appropriate
> metadata, to supplement (replace?) files in the present database
> structure. This is very unclear, but some mechanism for ensuring coherence
> seems to be needed.

Seems like you'd have to have some kind of event-notify scheme for this.
I'm not sure what you mean by checkin/checkout.  Are you referring to
some kind of versioning or locking system?  A caller would have to
handle a change of state "signal" whenever it occurred.  I also think a
general solution for things like saving state data (such a selections)
between program invokations but only for the duration of the session,
would be good.  Something to consider for 5.1...

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>