[GRASS5] Bad Fifo! - Mac OS X

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Sun Jan 28 06:28:33 EST 2001

On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 04:15:15PM -0800, Jeshua Lacock wrote:
> >I'm  sorry.
> >
> >The code in src/libes/raster/   needs to be updated as well.  You should only
> >need to update the io.c file in that directory.  Sorry for the extra work.
> >(This is the routine where the error message is generated - but both this and
> >the XDRIVER were changed together).
> >
> >Malcolm
> >
> >Jeshua Lacock wrote:
> >
> >>  On Friday, January 26, 2001, at 04:34 PM, Malcolm Blue wrote:
> >>
> >>  > Please see the messages related to XDRIVER problems on the list.  These
> >>  > problems were caused by an inadvertent mix of FIFO and IPC messaging  in
> >>  > the grass libraries and the XDRIVER and the file types in the dev
> >>  > directory.
> >>  >
> >>  > The XDRIVER code has been reinstated, so you should update the
> >>  > src/display/devices/XDRIVER directory.  After that it should work for
> >>  > you.
> >>
> >>  Hi Malcolm,
> >>
> >  > I just updated and compiled, and I get the same fifo error.
> >>

> Hi again,
>
> I updated io.c, compiled and got the same error, so I updated the
> whole src/libes/raster/ directory and I still get the same error:
>
>     /usr/local/grass5/dev/fifo.1a: Operation not supported
>
> Heres a ls -la of fifo.1a:
>     prw-rw-rw-  1 jeshua  wheel  0 Jan 25 23:48 /usr/local/grass5/dev/fifo.1a
>
> Is it normal to be zero bytes?

Yes, that's correct.
Suggestion for the IPC: Perhaps fifo* should be renamed to ipc.* (or
whatever) to avoid the confusion what's used.

Note there is a script: $GISBASE/dev/create_buffers.sh to be run
to get proper files if *not* using fifos. Maybe, Jeshua, you have been
missing that? Perhaps a
make clean
make
helps to be sure that everything compiles o.k.

Markus