[GRASS5] GRASS 5.0/5.1

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Thu Jan 18 10:55:05 EST 2001

On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 11:03:10AM +0700, Justin Hickey wrote:
> Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> > I vote for a beta11 as soon as possible.
> > It will be definitely better than beta10
> > and will generate reports on serious problems.
>
> Agreed.
>
> > drop buggy modules where no one says he/she will fix it within 4
> > weeks.
>
> I think this would be a good idea. However, are there any well used
> modules that are broken? If so, then we should at least fix those.

Yes,

o the r.*.tiff is still causing some problems. Eric Miller
  already spend much time on this pretty confusing piece of code,
  however there are still problems.

  r.in.tiff: segfault on Linux (was working once)
  r.out.tiff: minor bug on extensions if -t is used (segfaults when
            writing the .tfw file on Linux

  This is in my opinion such an important module.

o CELL driver: obviously some problems with colors (no 24bit)

o r.in.png: unstable, no 24bit yet

o v.out.e00: Doesn't output any information about projection, datum, etc.

The import/export functionality is one of the most important issues
in a GIS (here: acceptance of GRASS beside other stuff of course).

On BUGS:
 - I have decreased the bugs status here:
   - r.contour: no RC (shall we keep it?)
   - r.cost: here is is working well
   - r.null: I have added the comment to html/html/r.null.html
             and removed in BUGS.

Recent new bug: GRASS 5 beta10 startup crash occurs with Linux and csh.

So far,

 Markus