[GRASS5] GRASS beta11 and LZW...

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Jan 18 06:31:38 EST 2001

On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 08:27:43PM -0800, Eric G . Miller wrote:
> Since the "beta11" (which was originally going to be simply a "make" fix
> for "beta10") has been substantially longer in coming and includes a
> number of changes, I request that we re-revert to using the new libz FP
> raster compression for this release.

I agree!

> 2) We have to get that patented stuff out of GRASS.  Institutions such as
> Baylor, Hannover and Intevation have a slight liability risk in hosting
> this code (though I suspect we're well below UNISYS's radar, and I'm
> not sure if Germany recognizes this patent???).

I do not think Germany recognizes it.
( BTW: I am part of the FFII and the eurolinux Alliance to fight software
patents in Europe. Some already exist, but some only have a half
solid legal status.)

	Bernhard

The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)
FSF Europe                                            (www.fsfeurope.org)