[GRASS5] Raster Color Tables

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Mar 21 09:08:53 EST 2001

Folks,

Eric Miller has reported problems viewing greyscale rasters imported with
r.in.gdal because the viewer is applying it's own rainbow color table in the
absence of a color table being associated with the raster layer.

My assumption in the past has been that raster layers without a colortable
would be interpreted as greyscale, but now I guess that is not the case.  I
don't actually use the GRASS display subsystem so I wasn't aware of this issue.

So my question is, what are raster importers expected to do for greyscale
images?  My current impressions is that I should change r.in.gdal to
create a 0-255 greyscale colormap for eight greyscale data, and use
G_make_grey_scale_colors() for > 8bit data.  Is that right?  If so, I will
update r.in.gdal in CVS, assuming this isn't too intrusive a change at this
late date in the release cycle.

Best regards,