[GRASS5] GRASS 5.0.0pre1 tagged and sources released!

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Thu May 24 13:49:45 EDT 2001

Hi,

i am not able to provide an exact solution. Just some hints.
With IRIX and gcc the -s option to ld does fail too. Please see in the
SGI readme file in documents. The -s option means to "strip" symbolic
information on the binary output
of the linker.
One intermediate solution would be to ommit the -s option to ld and to
strip the binaries later manually before creating the bindist. This is
done like this:
cd whereevergrassis ; find . -type f -exec strip {} \;

Perhaps there is an optimized/adapted gcc compiler for OS X/Darwin?
Where is your ld binary located?

For Solaris 8: Is there need for a Solaris 8 _and_ a Solaris 7 binary?
IMHO not. Which architecture (x86/SPARC)? For SPARC it would be
theoretically possible to make a 64bit binary, but this is not
recommended.

Markus Neteler wrote:

> Hi Andy
>
> (cc to the list)
>
> On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 05:50:51AM -0500, andy agena wrote:
> > Hello everyone:
> >
> > I have the same problems with the 20_may as I did with the CVS a few weeks
> > ago on OS X / Darwin.  I looked through the configure file and I'm not sure
> > why the "ld -s" check fails, but it does, and I suspect this is the main problem.
> >    Could someone explain what this is looking for?  Is there some way I can
> > specify this during configure (e.g. --with dynlibs=...)?   (Specifying tiff
> > and jpeg worked out, thought :-)
>
> It seems that this error is the key to the large Mac OSX binaries (> 100MB).
> If "ld -s" check wouldn't fail, the binaries could get common size.
> I have not much ideas about this, but maybe another one here?
>
> > On a somewhat related note, is any one building binaries for Solaris 8?
> Up to now no volunteer...
>
> Markus

Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de - A.C.Lange at GMX.net