[GRASS5] Re: Terminal Errors

Jeshua Lacock jeshua at SierraMaps.com
Fri May 25 22:16:13 EDT 2001

On Friday, May 18, 2001, at 02:12 AM, Glynn Clements wrote:

>> It seems to me that there is a tricky yet simple reason behind this
>> whole terminal problem.
>
> Yep; MacOS X has a broken curses installation. Are there any mailing
> lists, web sites etc specifically for MacOS X issues? If there are,
> they would probably be of more help than this list. This problem is
> unlikely to be specific to GRASS; any program which tries to use
> curses should suffer from the same problems.
>
>> Any other suggestions?  Would you like to see my "env"?  My (default)
>> TERMCAP environment variable is about two hundred weird characters.
>
> I'm not sure that would help. It's legal for $TERMCAP to be an actual
> termcap entry rather than the path to the termcap file. However, in
> this case, curses should be ignoring $TERM.

All right!!!

Thanks Glynn, and everyone, we finally got this one nailed.  I installed
ncurses 5.2 and harmony has been restored to the Mac OS X GIS universe.

You no longer have to type location to start grass and modules that were
broken now work.

Now to compile pre1....

Markus:  Shall I upload a tarball with instructions?

Cheers,

Jeshua Lacock
Cartographer/Owner
http://SierraMaps.com