[GRASS5] Re: [GRASS_DE] r.mapcalc round()

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Tue May 15 14:51:51 EDT 2001

Markus Neteler wrote:

> > Does this go away if you compile r.univar with "-ffloat-store"?
>
> Well, r.univar is only a script using r.stats and awk. However, after
> recompiling r.stats with above flag (adding
> EXTRA_CFLAGS=-ffloat-store
> to the r.stats' Gmakefile) I can't see any difference.

That wouldn't help; it's the awk script which is doing the relevant
calculations. Looking at the awk script, I don't think that compiling
awk with -ffloat-store would help.

The problem is basically that none of the axioms of real arithmetic
quite hold true for floating-point arithmetic.

In this particular case, the variance is:

	(SUM[x(i)^2] - SUM[x(i)]^2/N)/N

If all of the x(i)'s are identical, then the two sides of the
subtraction should be equal. However, given the error introduced by
each floating point operation, they will differ slightly; if the RHS
is slightly larger, then result will be negative, causing the sqrt()
to fail.

Whilst there probably is an algorithmic solution (a decent textbook on
numerical methods should list many approaches for working around the
problems inherent in floating-point subtraction), I'm not sure whether
that would be justified, or if it would be better to just include an
explicit check for a negative variance (indicating a variance so low
that it's been swamped by rounding error).