[GRASS5] Multiple attribute support in GRASS 5.1:someconsiderations (long)

Radim Blazek Radim.Blazek at dhv.cz
Mon May 14 04:12:41 EDT 2001

Andrea Aime wrote:

> Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> >    SQLite is at http://www.hwaci.com/sw/sqlite/ and I have been quite
> >    impressed with it from my modest involvement.
> >

> Wow, is seems really impressive. A good SQL support and index in only
> 9000
> lines of code... Radim, how it compares to g51 dbf driver? Should we
> take
> a more closer look at it? It seems that SELECT support is quite
> complete,
> and indexing capabilities are interesting for querying large data.
> Import/export
> to and from PostgreSQL is another interesting plus...
> Regards
> Andrea Aime

SQLite seems to be a good solution. The only problem I see is that there is no
GUI front-end which was one of my criteria. Dbf files may be edited in StarOffice
and MSAccess (including forms). I thing that we don't have human resources for developing
database front-end within grass and we don't want to reinvent wheel. So if such front-end
is available is important.

BTW: SQLLite files are not portable (The key size thus depends on the size of
an integer on the host computer.) but that doesn't matter.

I think that both dbf and SQLite have some advantages. I don't think
we can find the 'best' system and that is the reason why I prefer optional drivers
for various databases. I don't see any problem in using new sqlite driver
beside odbc, dbf and others.

> PS: I'm interested both in spatial indexes both in overlay operations...
> can I join your work :-)?

Everybody is welcome. David is working on spatial related tasks.
I thing that you could start work on spatial operation (overlay) functions.
We have only dig_point_in_area() in g50 and we need ALL spatial operations
between ALL element types. Have you any ideas?

Radim