[GRASS5] Multiple attribute support in GRASS 5.1: some considerations (long)

Roger S. Miller rgrmill at Rt66.com
Sun May 13 14:47:34 EDT 2001

aaime wrote:

> During the last days I've spent some time thinking about new vector
> capabilities in GRASS 5.1, and in particular for what concerns multiple
> attribute support and DBMS integration..

I think it would be desirable if that data-base support also associates
drawing attributes with the vector objects; e.g. area color fill and
pattern, line weights, line styles, line color, point symbol, size and
color.  No doubt there are more.  Presentation is one of the most
important functions of GIS.  GRASS' current state of division between
analysis and presentation will make further improvements difficult.

Regarding the separation of vector data and site data...

Sites should function as a tie between a map location and a database.
The current support for sites is a conceptual start in that direction,
but of little practical use.  For instance, one of my clients has
somewhere over a 100 sites (wells) with a few to 100's of pages of data
that is uniquely associated with each site.  That is by no means a large
example.  I would like to be able to use a site list-like feature to
organize and access that data.

If your concept of data base support for vectors can be extended that
far, then by all means merge site lists with vectors.  It will make
things much simpler. Otherwise, I think it is far better to keep sites
for separate development.

Roger Miller
Lee Wilson and Associates