[GRASS5] GRASS packaging issues

Jan-Oliver Wagner jan at intevation.de
Wed May 9 06:32:50 EDT 2001

Hi Justin,

On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 03:17:48PM +0700, Justin Hickey wrote:
> The reason tar is used is because we link everything to the front-end
> module and cp was copying the executable not the link, increasing the
> size of the distribution significantly. However, cp would also take the
> CVS directories so that is not a good solution.
>
> An alternative method is to generate lists of files to be copied. This
> is useful, not only as solving the CVS directory problem but also
> ensuring that install and uninstall do not touch any file it is not
> supposed to (possible now since we use rm -rf and * to remove files). I
> did not have time to implement this method when I rewrote the Makefile
> but I was planning on including it in the new Makefile system.
>
> If you want, I can write a script to remove all CVS directories but I
> don't think this should go into CVS since someone could inadvertently
> destroy their CVS tree.
>
> Please let me know if you want the script.

it is not necessary.

tar can exclude files (-X). A list could be prepare with find,
but I am not sure whether all this is working the same on the many
platforms GRASS is compatible to.

Please consider low priority of this problem.

Jan

--
Jan-Oliver Wagner               http://intevation.de/~jan/

Intevation GmbH	              	     http://intevation.de/