[GRASS5] Having problems...

Alexis Morgan alexis.morgan at utoronto.ca
Mon May 7 18:38:25 EDT 2001

Dear Grass5 team,

I've just loaded Grass5.0 for NT/2000 onto my machine and I'm having a few
problems.

1. If I double click on the startxwin.bat file - I just get a popup dos box
that does nothing. The only way that I can get an xterm to start up is if I
use Exceed to start into an XWindows session and then run the
"startxwin.bat" file. Is this okay or am I causing problems by doing this?
If so, how can I avoid using Exceed?

2. The first time I ran through things (ran the bash --login -i command and
then ran grass5), everything loaded properly. However, upon rebooting my
system and trying again, I'm getting a "ERROR: Invalid return code from
gis_set.tcl. Please adise GRASS developers of this error.
/usr/local/grass5/etc/Init.sh: GISDBASE: parameter not set".  Any thoughts
on this?

3. I'm also having trouble getting the graphics window to come up once in
Grass. When I got into Grass the first time, things seemed to be working
properly, but I was still having trouble with the d.mon command and getting
the graphics window to come up (it gave an error message of:
"The dynamic link library libX11.dll count not be found in the specified
path
C:\cygwin\usr\local\grass5\driver;.;C:\WINNT\System32;C:\WINNT\system;C:\WINNT;C:\cygwin\usr\local\grass5=bin;C:\cygwin\usr\local\grass5\scripts;C:\cygwin\usr\local\bin;C:\cygwin\bin;C:\WINNT\system32;c:\WINNT;c:\WINNT\System32\Wbem;c:\usr/X11R6\bin;C:\cygwin\bin;C:\cygwin\bin."

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Alexis Morgan

Alexis J. Morgan, M.Sc Candidate

GUESS Research Group