[GRASS5] grass database: where to put it

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Thu Nov 29 09:57:48 EST 2001

We have had some discussion about this with Markus but I am curious to
hear from others:

Where do you put your GRASS database on your system (say you expect it
to have 10-20GB)

here are some options that we have seen:

/usr/local/share/grassdata

/opt/grassdata

/usr2/grassdata

/data/grassdata

/home/paul/grassdata

Is there any reason why some of these options may be bad?
Would it be different for a desktop at home and for a networked computer
(e.g. under NFS)
(assuming that at home there is a single user of that database and at
work many people
are using the database)
Any other ideas what the "correct" place/partition should be for a big
GRASS database?

thank you for any input,

Helena