[GRASS5] Temporal data in GRASS?

Carl Worth cworth at east.isi.edu
Thu Oct 25 13:12:30 EDT 2001

Markus and Helena,

Thanks for your quick feedback -- I think it will be very helpful.

I wasn't aware of xganim before, so I'll look at that and hopefully it
will do the trick for me.

Thanks for the pointers to the DateTime library. It's exactly what I
was hoping for, (a data structure with either absolute or relative
time values). The TimeStamp structure is also exactly what I had hoped
it would be, (either a point time or a range).

To summarize, it sounds like the database has slots for TimeStamps in
several places, but that support could be extended in several
places. Also, the ability to query/organize data based on time, and to
display the time seems to be missing. I'll take it on myself to start
improving these areas.

At the same time, I'd like to improve the UI of GRASS in several
areas. I'm running GRASS on a handheld computer and it would be very
nice if the major functionality were available using a stylus,
(ie. single-button pointer device), and no requirement for a
keyboard. I also have some simple ideas to improve cosmetics, (ie. add
support for TrueType fonts using Xft and the RENDER extension in X).

Meanwhile, I'm still getting my feet wet in the GRASS/GIS realm. I've
successfully imported lots of DEM and DLG/SDTS data that I fetched
from the USGS.

I have not yet been successful in importing DRG data in GeoTIFF format
though. I can use "r.in.tiff -v" and see that it finds the .tfw file
and appears to load just fine. But d.rast simply displays a solid
white image and d.histogram segfaults after displaying the title. Any
ideas what I might have screwed up or what I could look into to
diagnose this? (I'm using 0.5pre2 currently, but I'll probably jump to
the head of CVS next).

Thanks!

-Carl

--
Carl Worth
USC Information Sciences Institute                 cworth at east.isi.edu
3811 N. Fairfax Dr. #200, Arlington VA 22203		  703-812-3725