[GRASS5] A comment and a question.

Hal Mueller hal at seanet.com
Thu Oct 25 14:01:46 EDT 2001

At 4:18 PM +0100 10/25/01, Glynn Clements wrote:
>Unfortunately, switching to "install" would be an involved task, which
>would best be done as part of the new build system (i.e. in 5.1).

"tar xfo <yournamehere>" would do the job also.

Minimally intrusive change for 5.0 would be an option to "chown -R
ugo <yournamehere>" the tree after the install is done.  No mods to
stuff that already works, easy to leave out if it breaks.  This
wouldn't even have to be automated--could be just a mention in the
install directions that root doesn't own the installed files and if
it matters to you here's the command to fix it.

Note that an active developer, or someone who updates his
installation frequently, probably would _not_ want root to own the
installed tree.

I'm head down on a deadline at the moment, won't be able to
contribute/respond for a few days.

Hal