[GRASS5] Whose oops?

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon Sep 10 09:10:23 EDT 2001

	www.fftw.org

> > These both require the PNG library. Again, configure should have
> > generated a warning if it couldn't find it. If you have it, and
> > configure found it, I'd be interested in the actual error messages.
>
>   After 'make install' completed, I followed the directions to hand craft
> the PNG capabilities. I assume, therefore, that these two error messages are
> no longer valid.
>
>   Since I have all the PNG libraries installed, I assume configure found
> them; if not, there's a problem here. But, when I manually built them (with
> gmake5, I believe) no error messages were generated.

There are two sets of programs which may require PNG: r.{in,out}.png
and PNGdriver. The first two are built by "make", and any error
messages will appear in error.log.

PNGdriver is only built if you follow the instructions and run
"gmake5" directly, as it requires GD. However, PNGdriver itself
doesn't require the PNG library, but the GD library does - sometimes.
Some versions of GD (e.g. the one shipped with RedHat 6.2, which I'm
using) can only write (non-LZW) GIF images; in this case, PNGdriver
can be built successfully without PNG being installed.