[GRASS5] postgres vector buffering works as v.buffer

Alex Shevlakov alex at asrv.fcpf.ru
Thu Apr 4 06:29:15 EST 2002

Hi, GRASS developers and users,

more info on Postgresql 2-d vector functions development.

I just updated this page to contain new descriptions:

http://motivation.ru/grass/buff_q_example.html

Generally, Postgres makes possible vector buffer spatial queries
and producing the buffer lines (which is a bit more intricate than just querying if point is within buffer).
As there has been no 'v.buffer' yet, I think this must help those who want
making the buffer lines directly from vectors.

I think about more updates to the library that is dynamically loaded
(and reloaded with backend restart..(:(). One thing I do not think is
worth doing is 'v.in.pg' module which could do the backward vector
to GRASS from Postgres. It's because of the same as 'v.in.shape' problem with
double segments parts of various rings, and also because there is a simple and more reliable way, AFAIC, the v.in.arc would do the rest after dump of the necessary vector to 'ungenerate' format. For this I just added a simple dumper function.

Best wishes,

--alex

Alex Shevlakov,
Motivation Free Software consulting,