[GRASS5] Bug #257

Roger Miller rgrmill at rt66.com
Sun Apr 14 13:27:20 EDT 2002

Folks,

Bug #257 reports a case in which v.cutter didn't work when the region was
expanded beyond a certain point.  I just tested the current v.cutter on a map
of major aquifiers in the US and managed to expand it from 1 degree x 2
degrees up to about 12 degrees by 18 degrees without a problem.

I might be able to explain what caused the original problem.  If I'm right
then #257 might not be considered a bug.  I speculate that the map in the
original example (coastline of Norway) was a typed as an area edge, but was
not closed.  As long as the cutter overlapped the coastline at both ends
v.cutter should work right.  If the cutter got large enough that the line
terminated inside the area of the cutter then v.cutter would give no result
at all.

Markus, do you recall if this was the case?  If so, then the problem might
not be a bug, but v.cutter can be modified to avoid the problem anyway.

Roger Miller