[GRASS5] compiling GRASS5 cvs

John Vo lvo at sfu.ca
Thu Aug 8 13:35:42 EDT 2002

Hi Grass5 users,

First of all, I am a beginner with using UNIX and GRASS5. I have
downloaded the GRASS5 CVS because I would like to work with the 3D
visualization environment. My system is Windows 2000 and using the CYGWIN
emulator. Basically I am having problems with the installation of GRASS5.

So far, I have downloaded the grass5 cvs source, extracted it to the
folder /opt/grass5sources, and ran the ./configure command. The configure ran
smoothly but ended with the following error:

configure: error: *** Unable to locate XDR functions.

When I try continuing on with the make, typing "make" at the $ prompt gave
the following message:

make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

I have looked very carefully at the compiling.html file and the INSTALL
file but they still don't give me any ideas on what I should do. Like I
said early I am relatively a beginner with using UNIX, although I am
trying to learn. Is there a more "simplified" documentation for installing
GRASS5 available anywhere that I can read. If there isn't one, can anyone
give me some simple instructions on how to install GRASS.

Thanks kindly in advance for taking the time to read this and providing
any help.

John