[GRASS5] [bug #910] (grass) XDRIVER - monitor start problem

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Tue Feb 5 18:51:58 EST 2002

Request Tracker wrote:

> Subject: XDRIVER - monitor start problem

> grass downloaded at: CVS Server, Germany
> grass sources source: yes, I am using the latest GRASS from CVS

Your source may be the latest version, but the XDRIVER executable
isn't.

> d.mon start=x0
> Usage:  /usr/local/grass5/driver/XDRIVER [-] "input_fifo output_fifo"

In the current CVS versions (both the head and the release branch) of
XDRIVER, the "usage" message is:

        fprintf(stderr,"Usage:  %s <name> [-] \"input_fifo output_fifo\" [<nlev>]\n", argv[0]);

The cause of the problem is that you are using the current version of
d.mon/mon.start with an old version of XDRIVER.

The usual reason for this is that XDRIVER failed to compile, then
either:

a) "make install" installed the new version (minus XDRIVER) over an
existing version, or

b) the old version of XDRIVER was lying around in the dist.<arch>
directory, and "make install" re-installed the old version.

If you check error.log, you will probably find an message stating that
XDRIVER failed to compile. Check the output from "make" for the exact
error message(s), then send them to me and/or the list (just the bits
related to XDRIVER, not the entire output from "make").

In general you should:

a) run "make distclean" before compiling an updated version,

b) check "error.log" after compilation, and

c) remove (or rename) the destination directory before running
"make install".