[GRASS5] Grass Projection Parameters

Radim Blazek radim.blazek at wo.cz
Sun Feb 17 12:49:54 EST 2002

On Sunday 17 February 2002 00:15, Jeshua Lacock wrote:
> On Thursday, February 14, 2002, at 03:37 AM, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> >> We are developing a product called MacGrass that is based on Grass as a
> >> powerful engine and MacGrass as an elegant front end while also adding
> >> capabilities, features and ease of use.
> >
> > Just out of curiosity:
> >
> > What programming facilities are you using?
> > Is there any schedule for the release of the source code?
>
> Hello Bernhard,
>
> We are developing the software using Apple's Project Builder in Cocoa
> (objective-c based), as a commercial, closed-source project.
>
> At this time, while we do not have a schedule, we hope to start beta
> testing within a months time.
>
> I personally have mixed feelings about the open-source versus closed
> source issue. Although we will not contribute code to the Grass
> community in this instance, we will continue (and hopefully increase)
> monetary donations to the Grass project.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Jeshua Lacock

What you are doing is exactly what is not allowed. I consider
your work to be "work based on the Program" and GPL says: "But when you
distribute the same sections as part of a whole which is a work based
on the Program, the distribution of the whole must be on the terms of
this License"

Where can I read something about your donations? Sorry, I am just
curious what/who is donated now in Grass project.

I am not against commercial programs for grass. I can imagine commercial
modules for some special complicated tasks, which are needed but may not
be for some reasons written as open by Grass comunity. That requires to talk
more or again about LGPL for libraries.

But create and sell GUI as closed source, is Grass license violation for me.

I am not against even your commercial project, if I know exact sums and
recipients of donations, but unfortunately we cannot ask developers who
worked on Grass in past.

Radim
Praga, Bohemia