[GRASS5] question on D library/functions

Eric G. Miller egm2 at jps.net
Thu Feb 21 21:10:29 EST 2002

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 12:16:29AM +0100, Andreas Lange wrote:
> Hi,
>
> while trying to understand more of the internals of the libraries i
> found that the D library and its functions (Dnew, Dclearscreen, Dchoose,
> Derase, Dscreen, Dremove, Dcell) are not mentioned in the programmer's
> manual. Can someone enlighten me? Are these functions only shortcuts to
> the D_ and R_ library calls? Is there any reason that some modules use
> system("d.erase") while others use Derase() and even others use
> D_clear_window() ? What about system() and G_system(), should the
> modules use always use G_system?

As to the D* functions, they're probably little used because they aren't
documented.  I know, if I don't find documentation for a thing, I
usually don't use it ('cause if you don't know it exists...).  As to
system() vs. G_system(), I dunno. We don't need a G_* whatever for
every damn thing though.  I think some of those functions were written
because, at the time, these things weren't reliable across platforms.

If you feel the urge, please write documentation.  Even a little
chicken scratch is better than nothing.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>