[GRASS5] Proprietory Frontend for Mac OS X (was: Grass Projection Parameters)

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Fri Feb 22 12:16:00 EST 2002

> > The Macintosh community is not used to free software. They are used to
> > paying for quality software on a CD in a box with manuals and support
> > that they can purchase from a store.
>
> But you can do this and let your frontend have all freedoms.
> It does not stand in contrast to Free Software.
> You also have the chance to educate them.
>         Bernhard

I think that this statement just shows again that there is a misunderstanding
of what free
means for free software - free does not mean that you are not supposed to pay
for it
but that you have freedom to run, modifiy, etc. So selling

"quality software on a CD in a box with manuals and support
that they can purchase from a store"

is, as Bernhard says in no conflict with making it free - and here I cannot
help it-
the word Open is just more accurate (no matter how much the free and open
source
guys do not like each other). As I said before, for most people, not
intimately familiar
with the free software and open source world, free software means something
completely
different than what it is (often it is a proprietary software that is given
away for no charge).
So I can very much understand why Jeshua does not want their product to be
free, but may be
you could consider keep it Open?
And there are many Mac people who would love to buy a nice, easy to use GIS
(I know couple of them right here), but who would also like to modify it.

Helena