[GRASS5] GRASS: make install problems

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed Jan 9 13:02:23 EST 2002

Markus Neteler wrote:

> a user reported that, when installing GRASS with
> make install
> some permissions are wrong.
>
> He compilied as "root" and installed (make install).
> The permissions for
> /opt/grass5/tcltkgrass/script/gis_set.tcl
> /opt/grass5/bin/tcltkgrass
>
> were not right for the normal users. As I am installing
> GRASS as normal user, I cannot verify this.
>
> Does anyone know about this problem? Do we have
> to fix a missing "chmod"?

I don't see any problem ("make" as user, "make install" as root).
However, note that "make install" mostly just copies the files to the
installation directory. The installed files will have the same
ownership and permissions as the versions in dist.<platform>.

For files which aren't generated by compilation (e.g. scripts), they
will probably have the ownership and permissions resulting from
installation (i.e. "tar x" or "cvs checkout/update").

If the permissions are wrong, the first thing for the user to check is
his (i.e. root's) umask setting.

I don't see any reliable solution until we have a conventional
"make install" procedure (i.e. a recursive "make install", with the
individual programs using "install" on the appropriate files). And
that's too significant a change for 5.0, IMHO.