[GRASS5] CVS Merge

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Tue Jan 22 12:52:25 EST 2002

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 07:51:00AM +0000, Glynn Clements wrote:

> I have now merged the changes to the release branch into the head.

Glynn,

thanks a lot for your efforts!
Now is should be possible to build a working GRASS 5.1 as
all tools added to the exp are available again.

> AFAICT, any file which exists in the release branch also exists in the
> head, and both versions are identical (apart from differences due to
> CVS keyword expansion, e.g. $Date, $Id, $Log etc).
>
> OTOH, many files only exist in the head. Some of them should probably
> be removed, while others should remain. In general:
>
> 1. Files which aren't currently being used, e.g. because of bugs, but
> which might be used eventually should remain.
>
> 2. Files which have been made obsolete or which are otherwise unlikely
> to ever be used should be removed.
>
> Comments regarding which files fall into which category are
> appreciated.

To start the cleanup: We need to categorize the code somehow.
With my scripts I can easily remove entire directories of
unwanted code, but that's probably not desired.
However, we have to achieve a code base with is understandable.

Does it make sense to maintain a file
CONTENTS
with a status comment for each module (=subdirectory)?

Then, probably I am missing something: Are the files which have
been deleted on release_branch also gone on exp? Or are they
mixed into the working code? Sorry for this naive question.

Markus