[GRASS5] VPF/VRF open source libriary

Eric G. Miller egm2 at jps.net
Mon Jan 28 21:38:23 EST 2002

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002 17:20:25 +0100, Jan-Oliver Wagner <jan at intevation.de> wrote:

> Hi Bjørn,
>
> On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 10:59:12AM +0100, Bjørn Roald wrote:
> > Anybody have any pointers to existing "free" code supporting the vector
> > format known as VPF (or VRF when as part of the DIGEST standard).  This is
> > the vector format used in the Digital Chart of the World (DCW) and various
> > other NIMA products, as well as products from other sources.
> >
> > I am aware of NIMAMUSE, have used it for years.  I am also aware that NIMA
> > has discontinued its support for this "open source" application.  Are any of
> > you aware of any attempt to get NIMAMUSE sources releasable to GPL/LGPL?
> >
> > My goal is not simply a viewer or import/export filter.  My intention is
> > tools enabling production of full topology vector coverages in VPF.  Any
> > ideas or pointers are welcome.
>
> a sound vpf viewer as Free Software would be great.
> Currently there is only vhclmaps which is quite outdated
> and afaik, OpenMap (Java) which handle vpf.
> Links to these and perhaps some more at www.freegis.org.
>
> I am crossposing this to the FreeGIS mailing list, perhaps
> some people are also interested in the  development of a GPL/LGPL
> vpf viewer.

I would be interested in such a project.  I've read through the
VPF spec, skimmed through the NIMAMUSE code (outdated), and familiarized
myself somewhat with the database structure.  I've played around a
little with writing basic table reader code, but haven't written
anything substantial at this point.

I like the data model pretty well, and would be interested in tools to
read/write/build/validate such databases.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>