[GRASS5] d.vect.area

M Lennert fa1079 at qmul.ac.uk
Thu Jan 31 08:11:32 EST 2002

Hi all,

I tested d.vect.area on a very moderate (589 area, no islands
AFAIK) vector file, but even on such a file the speed difference was
significant in comparison to d.area: 3 seconds for the former
compared to 5.5 seconds for the latter.

I was just wondering, Eric, why you decided to implement
d.vect.area with a cat-rgb file option, and not with the catnum
option that was in d.area. This means that for scripts like the
d.area.class I posted last week, I will have to go through a
temporary file which will hamper perfomance again... I guess all
this will not be a problem with the new vector format, but for the
time being, I liked the catnum option.

Moritz