[GRASS5] Re: intersect sites with polygons?

Christoph Simon ciccio at kiosknet.com.br
Wed Jul 3 07:15:36 EDT 2002

On Wed, 3 Jul 2002 05:34:40 +0100
Glynn Clements <glynn.clements at virgin.net> wrote:

> I would suggest forcing "add-on" functions to use (prefix) function
> call syntax. Parsing infix expressions requires knowledge of operator
> precedence and associativity. Allowing the actual parsing rules to be
> modified dynamically could result in confusion.

Just one more comment: '+' plus should never be defined to be
something which has not a right associativity, nor something with a
higher precedence, say, than '*'. Then, no confusion will happen; it's
the natural thing everybody expects. What I'm thinking of, is to allow
just sets of functions associated to the operators, somewhat in the
style of operator overloading of C++. As this would be done at
runtime, the situation of non algebraic operators like CONTAINS need
to have a clear definition to be consequent in this point.

--
Christoph Simon
ciccio at kiosknet.com.br
---