[GRASS5] Outstanding issues for the 5.0 stable release

Eric G. Miller egm2 at jps.net
Thu Jun 27 21:10:45 EDT 2002

On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 12:46:49PM +0100, Glynn Clements wrote:

> Markus Neteler wrote:
>
> > - r.proj needs a clean-up. The improvements coded by Morten Hulden
> >   are partially disabled (region sensivity etc) which is a major
> >   drawback. If no general solution is possible, we may introduce
> >   optional flags.
>
> I've committed an update which makes the -n flag control both
> bordwalk() calls; it also fixes the error handling.
>
> AFAICT, the remaining issues for r.proj are:
>
> 1. Whether to forward-project the entire input map in order to
> determine the boundaries of the output map. This code is currently
> present (in main.c) but disabled.
>
> 2. Whether the sense of the "-n" switch is correct, i.e. whether
> cropping should be on or off by default.

As a user, my preference would be for all of the input map per
current region settings be projected into the output.  Seems to be the
most consistent with other GRASS raster operations.  The output raster
size should be no larger than the minimum bounding box of the projected
input bounding box as adjusted for rectangularity.

> 3. Whether an all-null output map should really be a fatal error.
> While this may seem like a good idea for "typical" interactive use,
> special-case behaviour such as this is usually a bad idea for a
> "module" of a larger system.

Probably there due to the non-intuitive output region handling.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>