[GRASS5] [bug #942] (grass) prequisites for compiling

Request Tracker grass-bugs at intevation.de
Mon Mar 4 12:18:54 EST 2002

this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=942

Subject: prequisites for compiling

Platform: Linux/Intel
Linux distro: SuSe
linux cpu: Intel (i486, i586, pentium ...)
Xwindows version: Xfree 4.0.x
Xwindows manager: KDE 1.x
TclTk version: tcl/tk 8.3
grass downloaded at: CVS Server, Germany
grass binary for platform: I compiled the sources myself
grass sources source: yes, I am using the latest GRASS from CVS
c compiler name: gcc

Hello,

I wanted to try out the 3D-vektors of Grass5.1, three day later i still compiling, and i would like to report following problems/bugs.

1.) The first thing is that it is not clear to see if you download grass51 and
read the install manual, that you need for compiling the experimental_CSV snapshot of GRASS5, and not the other sources. Somewhere is was written, and it took me one day to get that out.

If it is really the case that it is needed the experimental_CVS version, please write that in the INSTALL file which comes along with Grass5.1.

2.)

make clean and
make distclean

doesnt delete the

symlinks created form make mix in the directory:

grass51/lib/fonts/fonts

3.) If this is a bug i'm not sure, but i would like to report the following:

I complied and installed GRASS5.0 whithout problems with following flags.

setenv CFLAGS "-O3  -Wall"
setenv LDFLAGS "-s"
./configure --without-gd --without-postgres --without-opengl --without-odbc --without-fftw

and it worked fine. I had to use the without-flags, because else the processing for grass5.0 didnt't worked.

I didn't found an hint for the prequesitaries for compiling grass51, but
it seems that my missing opengl and other libarys  are manditory for grass51, but not for grass5.0.

For example the header file /GL/gl.h, i think it is a mesa file seems to be manditory for 5.1.

After installing mesa-devel.rpm to obtain the  header /GL/gl.h  the compiling
process continues much further, but reports lots of undefined references like about MESA funktions, although i have installed mesadev-3.4-19:

During make
the compiler exits with following message.

OBJ.i686-pc-linux-gnu/togl.o: In function `get_rgb_colormap':
/home/dietrich/GRASS/sources/grass51/visualization/nviz/src/togl.c:492: undefined reference to `glXQueryServerString'

OBJ.i686-pc-linux-gnu/togl.o: In function `Togl_MakeCurrent':
/home/dietrich/GRASS/sources/grass51/visualization/nviz/src/togl.c:871: undefined reference to `glXMakeCurrent'

OBJ.i686-pc-linux-gnu/togl.o: In function `RenderOverlay':
/home/dietrich/GRASS/sources/grass51/visualization/nviz/src/togl.c:911: undefined reference to `glXMakeCurrent'

and many more undefined references.

What went wrong? I couldn't find the missing funktions, which packets i have to install? Is it a bug or my installtation problem?
Does grass5.1 need more libaries than grass5.0?

Greetings
Dietrich Lange

cdlange at zedat.fu-berlin.de