[GRASS5] The status of 5.0

Michel Wurtz mw at teledetection.fr
Thu Mar 21 04:13:23 EST 2002

Roger Miller wrote:

[...]
> 5. v.out.shape exported only closed polygons.  I found no way around that
> behavior.  Is that inherent in shape files?

Did you try v.out.e00 (and then Import71, the free ESRI translator
from e00 to coverage, so Arcview can read the data) ? It should work
for closed polygons _and_ any kind of line...

But I agree with Helena : vector in Grass4.0 and 5.0 are not very usefull,
mainly because the attribute sheme is very cheap...  You cannot really have
a vector GIS without an associated database (or at least a kind of).

BTW, the site management is also ugly : the grass inner format is ascii and
there is a lot of pretty complicated functions to do apparently nothing else
than moving strings from one ascii file to another.  Here also, a database
seems to be a better solution (more attribute's types, direct binary storage,
use of attributes values to parametrize symbols, etc...).  To do in 5.1 ?

--
Michel WURTZ - DIG - Maison de la télédétection
               500, rue J.F. Breton