[GRASS5] The status of 5.0

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Fri Mar 22 10:22:39 EST 2002

On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 02:26:06PM +0000, Glynn Clements wrote:

> > > I've renamed the tag, so any attempts to checkout, update or commit
> > > using the releasebranch_11_april_2001_5_0_0 tag should fail.
> >
> > Is this the right way?
> > People should be able the get versions from the  branch for historical
> > purposes. What is the new name?
>
> 	releasebranch_11_april_2001_5_0_0_DEAD
>
> In any case, a branch tag doesn't refer to a fixed point in time, but
> to the most recent version on that branch. Specific snapshots can be
> obtained using the non-branch tags (pre3 etc).
>
> Also, it is possible to obtain a snapshot of the head as of a specific
> date using -D. Unfortunately, it isn't possible to combine -r and -D
> to obtain a snapshot of a branch.
>
> > > 5. I18N/L10N of grass.postgresql/*, s.surf.rst (alex)
> >
> > I'm not entirely convinced that we should put this in the GRASS5.0 tree.
>
> AFAICT, undefining HAVE_LIBINTL_H will completely disable the I18N
> support. Maybe this should be done for building binary distributions.

I am not sure if this cutting of release branch *without* releasing
GRASS was a shoot in the foot.

Glynn may remember that the merge back of release_branch some time ago
deleted a set of new features added by Radim in v.out.shape and
d.what.vect. How should Radim restore that now (beside the slightly
annoying extra work)? Also, now we definitly have the I18N/L10N in
the next release branch source code.

A bit puzzled,

 Markus

PS: How can I somewhat automate the switch-on/switch-off of
the cvs snapshot scripts? Looks like another tons of work for
me, that the release branch is killed - rewriting scripts and
cron jobs, rewriting web pages etc.