[GRASS5] The status of 5.0

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Mon Mar 25 12:03:31 EST 2002

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 09:16:34AM -0700, rgrmill at rt66.com wrote:

> Glynn wrote:
>
> > Note that the monitor sockets no longer live in <mapset>/.tmp/...,
> but
> > in /tmp/grass-<user>.
>
> That change was made in 5.0 since pre2?

Yes. It appeared in pre3. You find this documented in
http://grass.itc.it/grass5/source/NEWS.html
 or also
http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/~checkout~/grass/NEWS.html?rev=1.129.2

> That seems like a good change, but not necessarily better then saving
> under a user's ".grass" directory, which was the original option.
> Hopefully this was done in such a way that it won't cause me major
> update problems.  Clearly while this change might be benign it should
> serve as an example of how changes in GRASS could make it very difficult
> to upgrade a production GRASS installation.
>
> Further, this is a pretty fundamental change.  This along with some
> relatively recent changes in the monitor procedures just reinforce my
> impression that GRASS5.0 is *not* yet stable.

Mhhh, in the opposite an unmaintained system also doesn't get stable.
Comparing the messy driver to that what especially Glynn achieved the
last month, it just great.

The change of socket file(s) location is not severe and well tested.

Markus