[GRASS5] $LOCATION or not $LOCATION ?

rgrmill at rt66.com rgrmill at rt66.com
Wed May 15 10:57:36 EDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: Bernhard Reiter
Sent: 5/15/2002 10:08:57 AM
To: grass5 at grass.itc.it
Subject: Re: [GRASS5] $LOCATION or not $LOCATION ?

> On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 03:22:17PM +0200, Markus Neteler wrote:
> > for some time the $LOCATION variable is gone now and must
> > be constructed with 'g.gisenv'. As far as I know the underlying
> > idea was to allow for GRASS parallel sessions.

> AFAIU this change was good for the future and consistancy reasons anyway.
> So why not keep it as it is in there already?
> It will start migration earler.

I don't see much problem with $LOCATION unless GRASS parallel sessions are implemented as simultaneous threads.  I use parallel sessions with my manager module.  Each "session" has it's own monitor, gis environment and window setting and all of those are changed when the user switches from one session to another.  The command I wrote to perform the switch can also be used to set $LOCATION each time the session is changed.

It works fine with bash, but I suppose it may not be possible or practical in all user environments.

Roger Miller