[GRASS5] i18n for tcltkgrass

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri May 17 11:47:04 EDT 2002

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 05:24:09PM +0200, ser at it-zone.org wrote:
> --->[Quoting Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de>:]

> > I agree.  Somehow we  must make  sure that  GRASS still
> > works with older  tcltk version. This does  not mean we
> > do not want internationalisation,  we just have to find
> > a way to implement it.
> >
> > Without knowing  much about  it: Could  a preprocessing
> > step  be  used to  prepare  the  tcltk script  for  the
> > different tcltk version? Thus  it might just remove the
> > internatiolisation code  for people not wanting  out or
> > not having the modern tcltk version.
>
> I  do not  agree.  Upgrading Tcl/Tk  is  one minute  job.

Well most users are not in a position to do this.

> Your proposition  requires special  procedures, branching
> developement  tree,   special  configure   options,  etc.

I can see no other option, if we want i18n early.

> Progress in  software sorrounded  grass is  certainty, we
> cannot go against the stream, beacause we go to nowhere.

This argumentation is against my experience with most Free Software
projects.  Many developers and the vast majorities of the users are quite
reluctant to upgrade to newer versions if the component is already
established. There must be a real incentive for people to upgrade.
I cannot see this for most users for tcltk.
Keep the requirements as low as practical is a wise approach.