[GRASS5] i18n for tcltkgrass

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri May 17 12:27:58 EDT 2002

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 06:02:11PM +0200, Sergiusz Pawlowicz wrote:
> --->[Quoting Glynn Clements <glynn.clements at virgin.net>:]
> Ok -  I think,  that the  road to  nowhere means  we will
> write another Tcl/Tk :-(

No.

> Until  we
> finish Grass  5.1 -  Tcl/Tk in new  version will  be much
> wider available.

I don't believe it, you overestimate the willingness to change.
BTW: 5.1.x will always be a development series.
The next stable GRASS series will be 5.2.x.

> But I  am working  on Linux -  maybe upgrading  Tcl/Tk on
> other Un*x systems is more complicated...

Even most GNU/Linux users are very conservative.

> I am  very happy  we start  i18n work,
> and forgive  me I insist on it.

We are happy to have i18n work started.
I still think it should be mostly folded into 5.1.x.
But right now it looks like stuff will go into 5.0.1 or 5.0.2,
if it is stable.

This means we have to find an acceptable way to add i18n.
Requireing tcltk81 is not acceptable.

A simple preprocessing step as a crude solution which I already
suggested or a stub function like Glynn suggested is easy enough to do.
So if you really want i18n make sure that we can do it without
breaking tcltk 8.0.x.

	Bernhard