[GRASS5] problems compiling pre4 on SuSE 8.0

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed May 29 18:10:18 EDT 2002

Wolfgang Lueck wrote:

> I have recently got a new machine and made the foolish decision to
> install SuSE 8.0 on it instead of Red Hat or Mandrake that I am used to.
>
> While trying to install Grass pre 4 I encountered the following errors:
> During compiling the old postgres includes and libs story came up again,
> so I set links with ln for the files postgres.h and postgres_fe.h to the
> folder /usr/include/pgsql and defined the includes properly
> ./configure --with-postgres-includes=/usr/include/pgsql
>
> Well this is the error message that I got and can't explain:
>
> checking whether to use PostgreSQL... yes
> checking for location of PostgreSQL includes... /usr/include/pgsql
> checking for libpq-fe.h... yes
> checking for postgres.h... no
> checking for postgres_fe.h... no
> configure: error: *** Unable to locate PostgreSQL includes.

postgres.h and postgres_fe.h are "internal" headers. You probably need
to specify an additional directory, e.g.

--with-postgres-includes="/usr/include/pgsql /usr/include/pgsql/internal"

> When configuring without postgres I got problems with openGL
> configure could locate gl.h but not glu.h because such a file does not
> exist on my system, although openGL is installed. I speculated that
> glu.h might infact be glut.h and toock the chance to set a link.

No, glu.h and glut.h are different. glu.h *should* be included as part
of OpenGL, but this isn't always the case for Linux distributions.

There may be a separate RPM for GLU; the one which I have is:

	oss-opengl-glu-20000925-1.i386.rpm

The most recent versions of XFree86 do include GLU, as do all versions
of Mesa. The problem was with the earlier XFree86 4.x releases.

> Except for Postgress configure and make now runs without problems.
> Make install however gives the following error message:
>
> test -d /usr/src/grass/grass5.0.0pre4/dist.i686-pc-linux-gnu/locale &&
> /bin/sh -c "cd /usr/src/grass/grass5.0.0pre4/dist.i686-pc-linux-gnu ;
> tar cBf - locale | (cd /usr/local/grass5 ; tar xBf - ) 2>/dev/null ;
> true"
> make[1]: *** [real-install] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/grass/grass5.0.0pre4'
> make: *** [install] Error 2

This is a known problem with pre4. If you create the
dist.<arch>/locale directory (where <arch> is typically something like
i686-pc-linux-gnu) manually, "make install" should succeed.

> I then compiled Grass pre3 without problems (except for Postges)
>
> When running NVIZ the following error message pops up:
>
> /usr/local/grass5/tcltkgrass/main/pause: nviz: command not found

NVIZ requires OpenGL; it won't be built if OpenGL support is disabled,
so you will have to install GLU if you want NVIZ.