[GRASS5] [bug #1431] (grass) [RFE] r.digit support for vector point digitization please?

Request Tracker grass-bugs at intevation.de
Mon Nov 18 00:57:17 EST 2002

this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=1431

Subject: [RFE] r.digit support for vector point digitization please?

Platform: GNU/Linux/i386
grass obtained from: Mirror of Trento site
grass binary for platform: Compiled from Sources
GRASS Version: 5.0.0

It would be nice if the ability to digitize vector point data were added to r.digit.

It may better belong to v.digit, but r.digit seems to already be very close to the functionality I desire. Here's a description of my current workaround to give you an idea of why it is needed:

Digitizing of spot heights/depths off of a raster map (imported TIFF):
(There may well be a much better way of doing this)
After r.in.tiff, i.group, i.target, i.point, and i.rectify to get the
scanned-in map registered correctly, I tried using v.digit with 'Backdrop
CELL Map' turned on. (I assume this is the 'correct' method)

It worked, but the process of digitizing a couple of points, quiting to
the label menu, entering a new category and unique attribute label, then
selecting the relevant point on the map, then zoom to a new section, and
repeat, is tremendously inefficient when you are trying to put in several
hundered points.

Being able to click on a point, then be prompted for a label, <enter>
repeat, with category numbers auto-incrementing in the background would be
much nicer, which led me to do it the way I did it:

Use i.points to select positions, enter the spot height and a zero when
prompted for an easting and northing, and repeat. After that's all done,
save the resulting table to a file, edit the file to remove the uneeded
columns and header, and s.in.ascii the results.
Worked quite well, but it seems a tad bit round-about.

thanks,
ihatejunkyabastards at yahoo.com