[GRASS5] [bug #1350] (grass) Cannot compile r.slope.aspect on Solaris 8 i386

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed Oct 16 15:06:05 EDT 2002

Request Tracker wrote:

> Subject: Cannot compile r.slope.aspect on Solaris 8 i386
>
> Platform: Solaris7/i386
> grass obtained from: Trento Italy site
> grass binary for platform: Compiled from Sources
>
> This is further to report 1349: more details.

> /usr/local/source/grass-5.0.0/src/raster/r.slope.aspect/cmd
>   make -f OBJ.i386-pc-solaris2.8/make.rules
>
> make[1]: Entering directory
> `/usr/local/source/grass-5.0.0/src/raster/r.slope.aspect/cmd'
> gcc -I/usr/local/source/grass-5.0.0/src/include -O
> -I/usr/local/include   -c main.c -o OBJ.i386-pc-solaris2.8/main.o
> gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 6

Basically, gcc crashed.

I don't know about Solaris, but on Linux signal 6 is either SIGIOT or
SIGABRT. SIGABRT may indicate that the compiler called abort(), e.g.
because it got into an unexpected situation. However, that's just a
guess.

It isn't really possible to determine any more than that. You could
try compiling that file with different switches (e.g. without "-O",
with "-O2", with certain "-f" or "-m" switches etc); that sometimes
helps.

It might be that the problem is triggered by something specific in the
code, but the only way to locate it (other than debugging the
compiler, which is seldom a realistic possibility) would be to start
disabling chunks of source code until the compiler no longer crashes.