[GRASS5] problem in Grass 5.3

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Dec 4 07:23:43 EST 2003

I've been using Grass 5.3 for a couple weeks now on a Mac OSX/BSD G4
and overall it has been extremely stable. Last night, I ran into the
first bug so far. I needed to georeference a set of points representing
cesium magnetometry data from an archaeological site. To do this, I
converted the site file to a vector point file, and the vector point
file to an ascii vector point file. So far so good.

However, when I tried to use v.transform I ran into problems. First,
the documentation describes this as a module to transform binary vector
files, but the TCLTK interface wants ascii vector files. The command
line interface also seems to want ascii files. In the TCL interface at
least v.transform only looks for files in the dig.ascii folder (correct
for ascii files of course), but won't find them unless they are copied
into the dig folder (i.e., binary vector files).

Second, when I ran it with 9 points for coordinate transformation, it
crashed with a maloc and out of memory error. I reduced it to 4 points
and it ran.

Finally, it produced the header of an ascii file output (in the dig
folder) but not the rest of the file. It DID produce a file of
transformed coordinates in the dig.att folder.

  I had to use this attribute file to paste into an excel spreadsheet,
along with the magnetometry values from the sites file, which I then
exported to CVS and imported into s.in.ascii.

A very roundabout method. Anyway, v.transform seems to be confused
about what kind of files it is using for input and output.
C. Michael Barton, Professor
Department of Anthropology
PO Box 872402
Arizona State University