[GRASS5] fifo configure

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon Feb 3 20:50:35 EST 2003

Wallace, Beverly T wrote:

> I recently installed GRASS 5.0.0.  I configured it for fifos and had two
> problems:

Just out of curiosity, was there any particular reason for using
FIFOs? Is this a system which simply doesn't support sockets, or is
there a problem with the socket code?

> (1)  Configuring with "--enable-fifo" is not enough, "--disable-socket" is
> also needed.  Is that how it is supposed to work?  The configure help says
> that "--enable-fifo" will use the FIFO XDriver instead of sockets, which
> suggests that sockets are automatically disabled.

OK; this can be fixed easily enough.

> (2)  The monitorcap file did not work until I added full paths.

This is due to:

	date: 2002/01/04 17:04:17;  author: andreas;  state: Exp;  lines: +14 -14
	removed absolute paths in monitorcap file

in:

	src/display/devices/HTMLMAP/Gmakefile
	src/display/devices/HTMLMAP/moncap.entry
	src/display/devices/PNGdriver/Gmakefile
	src/display/devices/PNGdriver/moncap.entry
	src/display/devices/monitorcap/Gmakefile
	src/display/devices/monitorcap/monitorcap

Andreas: was there a specific reason for this change? It won't work
with FIFOs (and the field is ignored when using sockets).

There are two solutions here:

1. (the easy way): revert the change.

2. (the hard way): modify the code to prepend $GISBASE to the paths.
This could be done either in src/libes/raster/io.c (for clients) and
src/display/devices/lib/connect_fifo.c (for drivers), or by modifying
R_parse_monitorcap().

The only reason to choose option 2 is so that the GRASS directory can
be moved easily.