[GRASS5] CygWIN: compilation of current CVS HEAD?

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Feb 6 07:42:04 EST 2003

Markus Neteler wrote:

> Thanks for the clarification. So we'll check the PATH here which
> we modified to get the R/GRASS interface working [1].
>
> Markus
>
> [1] If interested, see instructions here:
>     http://grass.itc.it/statsgrass/grass_r_insthints.html

It says:

 - To bypass Cygwin's path and make sure that MinGW and Perl are the first
   directories in the Cygwin path. So, one needs to modify the /etc/profile
   file AND any user defined resource file in their home directory
   (i.e. a ~/.bash_profile that needed updating too - don't know why but it
   does). If ~/.bash_profile is not present, make it a copy of /etc/profile.
   In /etc/profile change the PATH= definition so that $PATH comes first
   (per default it comes last). Something like
   PATH="$PATH:/usr....."

If you do this, don't expect typical Unix-ish programs (the ones for
which you installed Cygwin in the first place) to still work
afterwards. Cygwin's /bin (or /usr/bin, they're just aliases) needs to
come first, before any Windows/DOS stuff.

If, for whatever reason, R needs to have the Windows/DOS stuff come
first, then you need choose between having R work and having
everything else work.

If there exists a choice between Unix and Windows versions of R,
choosing the Unix version is likely to result in better compatibility
with GRASS.

This is the same issue faced by tcltkgrass (which requires Unix/X11
Tcl/Tk, not Windows Tcl/Tk) and NVIZ (which requires Unix/X11 versions
of both Tcl/Tk and OpenGL, not the Windows versions).