[GRASS5] CygWIN: MinGW compilation of R/GRASS interface

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Feb 13 16:58:10 EST 2003

Mike, friends,

I'm bringing this back to grass5 to report on progress and to ask for
hints. R package building automation prefers to have the complete set of
files needed to build the package shared library in the source package -
reducing dependencies on library installation. So now I have a subset of
src/libes/gis/*.c and their *.h, together with some zlib and xdr headers
taken from the R src distribution in the interface package. It runs
correctly om Linux (RH 7.2), and handles files in the same way as the
native GRASS programs.

Building the package under MinGW also succeeds, with a few #ifdef's to
choose for example rename() instead of link(), and a fix to get round the
lack of getuid(). The remaing problems looked solvable but now I'm not
sure.

The scenario is that the MinGW R with the MinGW built GRASS package loaded
is running in Cygwin GRASS under Cygwin. Cygwin and MinGW see the file
system differently, but this can be corrected by prepending the
appropriate string to the values of $GISRC and $GISDBASE in env.c - (not
touching .grassrc5 allowing eg. system("r.mapcalc ...") to carry on
running. There is a case for some user level access to set the ENV
structure, or at least to retrieve the values present there. The second
issue was that MinGW (and thus R and the built GRASS package) write text
files with CR/NL pairs, not just NL, which makes reading everything - say
in f_format files, or site_lists files, fail. This is also fixable by
setting the mode of files opened to O_BINARY, or adding a "b" to the
fopened. Given this, the interface works for metadata and sites data.

Today's big disappointment is however that cell and fcell files are being
written wrongly. They are slightly larger than the "correct" ones. The
scenario is that R also uses xdr and zlib functions - on Linux the same
ones that GRASS finds during configure. Consequently, they (or some
version of them) are already "in" the R.dll that the GRASS.dll is
dynalycally loaded into, so all the dependencies and references are
satisfied. Under Linux they appear to generate the same file content as
CygWin GRASS - locations are mutually exchangable. My intuition is that
they do work cross-platform because R save objects (first xdr, then zlib)
do transfer from Win/MinGW to Linux, but the GRASS xdr/zlib don't - that
is Cygwin GRASS programs can't read what the MinGW R/GRASS interface has
written. The MinGW R/GRASS interface can't read then either, but
curiously, it reads the zlib'ed, xdr'ed FCELL layers created by GRASS
itself on whatever platform!

Because compression and XDR happen at the same places in the code for
writing FCELLs, I'd like to ask 1) if compression of cell and/or fcell
files can be turned off? 2) Beyond the #define DEBUG statements in
libes/gis files, does anyone have any experience of debugging XDR - if I
could turn off compression, I would have a chance of seeing if the problem
is incompatibility in zlib across platforms, in xdr across platforms, or
something else getting into the files (more ^M??); I would write a small
program just to read the fcell file to check its contents against the
values being written. My suspicions of a residual ^M or similar problem
are reinforced by CELL rasters also failing, and they don't use xdr or
zlib (do they?).

The aim is to make an interface package that passes the standard R tests,
and can be distributed and updated automatically - although keeping the
subset of libes/gis files in sync will probably have to be manually (the
changes are non-invasive with #ifdef's).

Grateful for any suggestions about where to look!

Roger

--
Roger Bivand
e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no